Descriptive list of paintings by Arthur Fuller Davis
on permanent display at the
Acton Memorial Library
~ Oil Paintings
Memorial Library and Boys at Play. Painted from Mr. Davis’ house
located at 491 Main Street.
Boys identified as Alan T. Mitchell, Forest Bean and George Tuttle. 38.1.8.
- Children at Play. Fairgrounds at the rear of
library property. Barn, behind Center Store, was razed in 1970s. 38.1.2.
- Dam on Concord
Road, East Acton.
- Nagog Tavern, about 1890. Painted from a description as it
appeared around 1890. Razed in
- The Storm. 38.1.7.
- Sam Brown House. House rebuilt on site of
Isaac Davis House. 74.38.1.
- Town Hall, Acton.
Second Meeting House built on this site in 1863. 38.1.5.
- Autumn Scene.
the Memorial Library. The large trees on both sides of the street were
destroyed by the 1938 hurricane. 38.1.1.
- Departure of Davis
Guards for Lowell,
House. Located on Meeting House Hill, the school was built in 1872.
The upper floor was added in 1901 and it was demolished in 1957. 37.1.
- Portrait of William Wilde by W. T. Robinson.
In 1889, Mr. Wilde donated the library to the Town as a Memorial to men
who served in the Civil War. 90.1.1.
- Minute Men Leaving the Home of Captain Isaac
Davis, April 19, 1775. 94.1.1
Gallery ~ Water Colors and
- Echo Lake,
This painting hung in Florence Merriam’s classroom (1st & 2nd
grade) in the South
for more than 30 years. 69.4.1.
- Shoddy Mill on River Street, South Acton.
This mill was built in 1878 by J. A. Bowen for reprocessing of old woolen
cloth to make new products. Also known as Reitzer’s (or Rawitser’s) Mill,
it was located on River
Street in South Acton.
- Man Walking Through Fields. Fall landscape
showing a figure (Mr. Davis?) walking through a field. 88.7.2
in Early Fall. 88.8.3.
- Stone Wall, Acton Center.
- Nashoba Brook.
Dr. Shaw lived in Acton Center, before moving to Concord in 1919. 82.1.1.
- Red Maple. South Acton.
- My First Watercolor. 1997.2.1.
- On the Lake
Pond, Westford, 1912. 2002.2.1.
- Folly Cove. Annisquam, MA. 88.8.2.
from Fort Pond Hill. Newtown
- Autumn Scene, with cows on a hillside. 38.1.3.
- Apple Picking. Oil under glass. 77.2.1.
- Cows Grazing along Nashoba Brook. 77.2.2
- Mr. Davis in his Garden, showing the rear of
Boardman and Davis
houses, dated 1911. 88.9.2.
- Farmer in Blue Apron. 2000.2.2.
- Still Life. The only example of Davis’ work in this
Room ~ Etchings and
- Ice House Pond. Trained as an etcher, Arthur Davis
produced etchings of some of his works during the 1890s. This plate was lost
died in 1953 and resurfaced in 1994. This etching was made from the
original plate using the process that would have originally been used. 1995.1.1.
- Summer Day. Etching also signed by Arthur
- Minute Men Leaving Home of Captain Isaac Davis,
April 19, 1775. This etching used to hang in the West School. 69.4.3.
- Nashoba Brook.
- Wharf at Annisquam.
Pen and ink drawing of old Griffin’s
Wharf. Davis occasionally visited his
mother’s family on Cape
- Boathouse and Lake.
This painting was originally a gift to Acton
schools and hung for over 30 years in Julia McCarthy’s classroom (3rd
& 4th grades) at the South Acton
- An Autumnal Hunting Scene,
dated 1944. One of the village
school paintings given to the schools by Arthur F. Davis. Previously hung
in the foyer of Julia
given to the library by Arthur Hayes in 1974. 73.34.1.
Note: Titles are
taken from the library’s archive records, based on the research of Florence Merriam. In some cases, the artist wrote locations on
the back of the paintings. Numbers (e.g. 69.4.2.) refer to Acton Memorial Library archive accession
Brochure funded by
Library Foundation, Inc.